Saturday, January 31, 2015

The Opera Ensemble: "Florencia en el Amazonas"

My "river" costume. 
Singing in the ensemble with The Nashville Opera is always an enjoyable experience for me. I don't write about it enough, although I have several people that ask me about certain details. 

I have been singing with the company since 2007. Auditions typically take place in the spring of each year and you are required to sing a classical piece of music. Since I am a soprano, examples of arias I have sung are "O Mio Babbino Caro," and "Vissi d'arte." The latter is my ultimate favorite aria to sing. It is from the opera "Tosca, " and after singing in for my voice teacher one day, she told me that it really shows the range and fullness of my voice. (So that is that feeling I get when I just "know" that it is right!) It has stuck with me ever since. 

"Florencia en el Amazonas" was the most recent production I had the opportunity to perform in and we closed on January 27th. This particular opera was staged in a way it had never been staged before with the ensemble portraying the river. This meant that we had to sing on the floor, often on our backs after low crawling into our starting positions. One of the most fun parts for me was during the storm. I was able to incorporate more dance moves and flexibility. When the director says he needs more, I usually don't hold back! I have always had the thought process that it is easier for a director to pull someone back than to try to get more out of someone onstage. 

"Forencia en el Amazonas" is an opera full of gorgeous music and brought back so many memories for me. Remembering things of the past, and hoping to re-connect and get back what was lost, made some portions emotional for me. Florencia's final aria brought tears to me eyes two out of the three performances. If the music and the story of an opera can make someone feel, then the mission has been accomplished in my opinion, The feeling is what it is all about. 

I love being part of such a wonderful company!




No comments:

Post a Comment